Sunday, January 23, 2011

A whole week full of fun & learning!

I hope everyone had a nice weekend! I am actually really excited to be going to school this week for the entire 5 days.  Room 123 does really well on a schedule, we like to know what is next, and after that, but when are you going to…… you get the picture?  So I must say I am probably one of the few who is looking forward to a full week!  We will continue to be learning and having fun at the same time.  We will also mark a milestone this week, the 100th Day of School!! Wow! I can’t believe we have been in school 100 days!

In reading this week our focus letter is /o/ as in otter. Last week in Language Arts I did not introduce ABC order, instead we started learning about adjectives.  I assume you all figured that out after reading their DOL.  We will begin talking about ABC order this week.  We will also continue to discuss many of the parts of speech we have learned this year. (nouns, verbs, adjectives, pronouns)

In Math we will begin Chapter 13 Addition & Subtraction Facts to 12. We will be counting on to find sums, adding doubles, adding three numbers, and counting back to subtract.  Please be sure and go over any math work that comes home in your child’s take home folder.  Also, I hope you are taking advantage of practicing the Math Facts in a Flash at home.  The children are super excited about it and seem to really be catching on to the memorization of the facts!

Our AR testing was a little off last week due to the short week and the Library was closed all day on Thursday.  Hopefully we will be on a normal schedule this week.  Please be sure and send in a note when your child is ready to take an AR test on their library books.  Beginning this week I will not allow the children to take a test without a note from home. 

As I said earlier the 100th Day of School is this Wednesday, January 26th.  We are going to have a marvelous time doing lots of activities the “100” way! I sent notes home with some of the children asking for certain items to be brought in.  If at all possible please send your item in by Monday or Tuesday at the latest.  This is in case I don’t think we have enough.  Then I will have time to run by the grocery store before the big day!!

We will celebrate Valentine’s Day with a class party on Monday, February 14th.  In preparation for the party I need 2 volunteers to buy 1 pack of the white gift bags with the handles on them. They sell them at Michaels and come in a pack of 12 together.  If anyone would be willing to pick up a pack that would be great!  We will decorate the bags and use them to collect our valentine cards. I usually try to go ahead and get the bags early, sometimes if you wait to close to Valentines Day they are gone.   Let me know if you can help out with this!

A few dates to mark on your calendar:

Tuesday, January 25:  Blount Night at Jason's Deli

Wednesday, January 26:  100th day of school

Friday, January 28: Box Tops are due

Monday, January 31:  cookie dough orders are due

Tuesday, February 1: Community Meeting at Carr Junior High 5:00 (to discuss rezoning our school district)

Thursday, February 3: Progress Reports and Signed Papers

1 am looking forward to a wonderful week back with my precious firsties!! Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. Have a super week!!

HUGS!!

No comments: