Sunday, October 2, 2011

Happy October!!

 

mummygreencatbalarinadino

What an amazing weekend! I hope you were able to get outside and enjoy this wonderful weather! We had a busy weekend! We were able to spend all day Sunday with our extended family.  There are a lot of us and we always have the best time together!

DSC_2252

{This is my mom’s side of our family!}

I want to thank the sweet moms of James, Katie, and Tate for coming in Thursday to take the class to lunch so that I could enjoy Teacher Treat day.  The food was great and it was a fun treat to eat with my friends.

Sorry for the late notice about team spirit day.  We didn’t find out about it until Wednesday.  Never fear, we always have a BIG team spirit day in November! I will tell you in plenty of time so everyone will have time to get their game day wear ready!!

Take a look at the spirit in Room 123 this week!

DSC_1989DSC_1990DSC_1995DSC_1991

 

We had a busy week last week with our Dinosaurs unit. However, I think I may have learned more about Dinosaurs than the children.  These precious ones are smart!!!

LANGUAGE

Next week’s grammar rule will be Rule 7,  days of the week begin with a capital letter. We will also continue to practice all previous rules introduced. Everyone has been doing a fantastic job with their DOL! I am so proud of how quickly the children have gotten into the routine of first grade and adapted to the higher expectations. 

READING

Next week our whole group sound is /th/ as in the word the. We also work on some activities related to our name and how we got our names, we will even share any nicknames some of us may haveSmile! We will read one of my very favorite books Chrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes.  I just love this book!! If you haven’t ever read it I will be glad to share mine with you! It is precious!! Please watch for some homework you’ll need to assist your child with to come home on Tuesday.

We will have another unannounced word wall check in the coming weeks. Be sure your child can read all the word wall words that have been introduced this year.  They must read them instantly.  Word Wall Words are not meant to be sounded out.

MATH

We will begin Chapter 6 in math. I must say the children are doing a good job to have just started Math Facts in a Flash last week!! If you are having trouble logging in at home or need assistance in figuring out how to let your child practice their facts at home let me know.  I will be glad to help you!  If you signed up for the Ren Place Home Connect then you should receive an email each time your child takes an AR test or Math Facts in a Flash test.

AR Testing

Many of the children are so excited to read their books and take AR tests! I love to see this motivation and excitement!! Just let me know by putting a sticky note on their book if they are ready to test.  If you are still unsure if your child is ready to take an AR test or if you have questions about AR, please do not hesitate to contact me.  I will be more than happy to explain or talk you through any part of the AR program!

A Few Reminders

                               October 10:  No school (teacher in-service day)                              
October 11:  Spirit Night at Jason's Deli

October 17: Field Trip to

punkin3

the pumpkin patch

(info coming soon)
October 18:  Spirit Night at Burger King
October 20:  Blount Fall Festival at Thompson Park  4:30-7:30
October 25:  Spirit Night at Nancy's Italian Ice
November 1:  Deadline for Just Give Campaign

I’ll be sending home another Scholastic Book Order this week. You may order online or you may still send in the paper order form if you want, it is due Thursday October 6th. If you send in the paper form, you may write one check for all forms payable to Scholastic.

Have a wonderful week!!

Hugs!!

No comments: