Wednesday, January 21, 2009

January 19-23

Brrr! I hope everyone enjoyed their long weekend and stayed nice and cozy. We have a lot going on this short week!
~ I hope to see all our moms on Thursday or Friday for Muffins for Moms. This is always a fun time for everyone, please walk down to the classroom before you leave so I can get a sweet picture of you and your child.

~ Signed papers will go home Thursday. I must say I am so proud of the children, second semester in First Grade gets a little harder as we prepare to go to second grade. The children are really doing well, I am so proud of all their efforts and want to thank you for all of your support and encouragement from home!

~ Last week the children took the STAR test which helps determine what level reading books they get from the library. I will make everyone new library cards this weekend so your child's reading level may change. I will also send a parent letter to you explaining the test and your child's results.

~ Friday we will celebrate the 100th Day of School!! Can you believe we have been in school 100 days? We will be doing several 100 day stations in our classroom as well as making a "100 Day Hash" mix to eat. Yummy! Thank you to those of you who sent in items for our mix. I didn't need everyone to send in something, so if you didn't get a note don't worry, I'll ask those friends next.

~ Book Orders are due this Friday, you may order online or by sending in a check payable to Scholastic. The username is awright and the password is books. There is a link to Scholastic on the right, under Classroom Connections.

Reading - We will focus on the L sound this week. Also be sure that you are practicing reading our word wall words that are located in your child's take home folder. If your child has Read Well passages in their take home folder PLEASE be sure you are listening to him read these EVERY night. These should be read with ease and fluenty. If you need additional passages or have any questions please don't hesitate to contact me.

Math - We are still on Chapter 14 and will test mid week next week. Look for a review sheet to come home on Tuesday or Wednesday. Please continue to practice your addition flash cards. I can't stress this enough. Second grade expects these facts to be memorized....no finger counting.

Language - We will continue to review Rules 1-16 of our Grammar Rules. I will not introduce a new grammar rule this week.

Have a great week and stay warm!!

No comments: