Sunday, May 1, 2011

How can we help?

I know that we all have heavy hearts after seeing the devastation that the tornadoes left  last Wednesday.  As I begin reflecting on the horror that all of these families are going through I wanted to help!  After church today our family decided that we would diligently pray for all of those affected but we also wanted to do something tangible.  I wanted my girls to have the experience of helping that they would remember.  We took the list they gave us in church and made a trip to Wal Mart.  I decided to use the gift card that I won from PTA to help these victims. I think that all the children in our class would agree that we are extremely blessed. As I saw pictures of the devastation I know my sweet little first grade friends will be so glad that we shared a little from room 123 at Blount Elementary. With the $50.00 I was able to purchase the following:

10 tubes of toothpaste         1 – 24 pack of water        2 – 10 LB bags of dog food      18 bars of soap               1 pack of 32 count Pampers     10 toothbrushes

As we arrived at Frazer to drop off all our items my eyes just filled with tears.  It was ah-mazing! All I could think was how thankful each family would be to receive these items and how it really is so much better to give than to receive.  My girls were full of questions and I still don’t think they really know how devastating this whole tragedy is, but they were so proud to have had a part of giving back to others in need.  As we left they both wanted to know what else we could do. As we discussed other things our family could do, my heart was so full of joy to see that they really wanted to help and give to others who are in such need.

I was just given the following information:

Frazer United Methodist Church collected donations Sunday from members and community totaling more than $60,000.

On top of the monetary donations, they've collected more than 40 palettes of water, diapers, and other supplies, enough to fill one and a half trailers.

Wow! What an amazing and giving community! I must say it makes my heart smile to see the way everyone comes together in a time of crisis like this~!

While checking out in Wal Mart I met a precious pastor’s wife from Saint James Methodist Church.  She was purchasing school supplies for the children in Tuscaloosa.  She was telling me there were many schools that were damaged, and two that were demolished.  After talking to her and the other first grade teachers I came up with a plan!  St. James has a truck leaving tomorrow and the next truck will be leaving on Friday.  She said they were praying to have enough supplies to start school again a week from tomorrow.  The first grade at Blount is going to have a School Supply Drive to help the children in Tuscaloosa.  Right now they need the very basics:  zipper pouches, crayons, markers, scissors and glue sticks.  We will also be making cards for the children that we are going to send our items to.  If you would like to donate any of these items please send them in this week. We will take them to St. James on Friday. If everyone could send in just a pack of crayons or pack of glue sticks we could help several classes.  Thank you for helping us help others!

  

      The pictures below are from Alberta Elementary School in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.

      AlbertaAlberta

                              Alberta                Alberta

Feeling extremely blessed!

No comments: